Armed man takes hostages on bus, explosives found elsewhere in Ukraine

Local police received a call Tuesday saying bombs were planted under two mobile kiosks at the site in northern Kyiv, Vitali Klitschko said on his Facebook page. 

“Law enforcement officers and bomb specialists verified the information and found the dangerous objects. They said he threw a hand grenade that failed to explode at officers and shot at them at least twice during the still-ongoing siege. Zelenskiy said earlier on Tuesday he was personally monitoring the situation. Trending News

Rare yellow turtle discovered in India

Greta Thunberg pledges to donate 1 million euros in prize money

Sweden becomes an example of how not to handle COVID-19

Bus driver beaten to death by passengers who refused to wear masks

According to Gerashchenko, police have identified the man as Maksim Krivosh, a 44-year-old Ukrainian born in Russia. The man called the police himself at 9:25 a.m. The assailant was armed and carrying explosives, police said. Krivosh had allegedly been convicted twice on a wide range of charges — robbery, fraud, illegal arms handling — and spent a total of 10 years behind bars.  
Тривожні новини з Луцька. Get Breaking News Delivered to Your Inbox

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy said negotiations with the man were underway. Вранці, о 9:25, до місцевої поліції зателефонував громадянин, який повідомив про те, що…Posted by Володимир Зеленський on Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Meanwhile, two explosive devices were disarmed at a market in Kyiv on Tuesday following an anonymous tip to the police, the Ukrainian capital’s mayor said. About 10 people were still being held hostage, Ukraine’s Security Service said in a Facebook statement. 

Police earlier had put the number at 20. Police in Kyiv said they were also checking information about possible explosives planted on a square near the Minska metro station, which is in close proximity to the market. Armed man takes hostages on bus, explosives found elsewhere in Ukraine

Updated on: July 21, 2020 / 9:51 AM

Ukrainian law enforcement officers lie on the ground behind a car near a passenger bus, which was seized by an unidentified person in the city of Lutsk, Ukraine July 21, 2020. TETIANA HRISHYNA/REUTERS

Lutsk, Ukraine — An armed man seized a long-distance bus and took people in it hostage in northwestern Ukraine on Tuesday launching an hours-long standoff with police, Ukrainian authorities said. First published on July 21, 2020 / 5:04 AM Ukrainian media reported that gunshots were regularly heard at the scene. According to reports, Krivosh tried to reach out to journalists through hostages and their phones, demanding that they spread the word about his demands and get more reporters to arrive to the scene. Police sealed off the center of Lutsk, a city about 250 miles west of the capital Kyiv. It wasn’t immediately clear whether anyone had been injured. Interior Minister Arsen Avakov traveled to Lutsk to supervise operations. People were immediately evacuated. (0225 Eastern) after taking control of the bus and introduced himself as Maksim Plokhoy, Deputy Interior Minister Anton Gerashchenko said on Facebook. In a Telegram account reportedly belonging to him, Plokhoy apparently admitted to taking people on the bus hostage, said that “the state has always been and always is the first terrorist” and demanded that top Ukrainian officials release statements on their social media pages calling themselves terrorists. It was unclear how many people had been on board to start with, or whether any escaped. The perimeter around the kiosks was sealed by law enforcement and rescuers,” Klitschko said, adding that the devices, placed between a car and the mobile kiosks, were disarmed. “We’re doing everything to free the hostages,” Zelenskiy told reporters.  There was no immediate word on any possible connection between the explosives in Kyiv and the man holding hostages in Lutsk.