ISIS-claimed attack on Afghan prison leaves dozens dead

He said 10 ISIS attackers were also killed in the operation and that the assailants killed five prisoners, including two members of the rival Taliban, before the raid ended.While the Islamic State group has seen its so-called caliphate stretching across Iraq and Syria eliminated after a yearslong campaign, the group has continued fighting in Afghanistan. Afghan security forces keep watch infront of the site of a prison attack in Jalalabad, Afghanistan August 3, 2020. Trending News

Some mystery seeds illegally sent from China identified

Virus outbreak hits cruise ship that stopped at dozens of ports

Companies “need to ban” skin-lightening creams, activist says

Study identifies 6 different “types” of COVID-19

Anti-Kremlin protests continue in Russia’s far east for 24 days

The attack began Sunday, when an Islamic State suicide bomber drove a car laden with explosives up to the prison’s main gate, detonating the bomb. Sporadic gunfire rang out from nearby residential buildings in central Jalalabad, an area of high security near the provincial governor’s office. ISIS-claimed attack on Afghan prison leaves dozens dead and sets hundreds free

Updated on: August 3, 2020 / 11:37 AM
/ AP

Afghan forces retook a prison in the country’s east on Monday afternoon, following an hours-long gunbattle a day after the facility was targeted by Islamic State militants in an attack that killed 29 people. and NATO forces begin to withdraw following a U.S.-Taliban peace deal struck earlier this year.Afghan Defense Ministry spokesman Fawad Aman said the prison in Jalalabad, the capital of Nangarhar province, located some 115 kilometers east of Kabul, was taken back in the afternoon – 24 hours after it came under attack. Afghan security forces take position on a building where the attackers were hiding after an attack on the facility in Jalalabad, Afghanistan on August 3, 2020. The U.S. A second, crucial round of negotiations between the Taliban and the political leadership in Kabul has yet to start.The Taliban had declared a three-day cease-fire starting last Friday for the major Muslim holiday of Eid al-Adha. Islamic State militants opened fire on the prison’s guards and poured in through the breach.The ISIS affiliate in Afghanistan, known as ISIS in Khorasan province and headquartered in Nangarhar province, later claimed responsibility for the attack.However, some of the 1,500 prisoners there escaped during the fighting. Get Breaking News Delivered to Your Inbox

As security forces swept through the prison, they found the bodies of two Taliban prisoners apparently killed by the Islamic State group, showing the tensions between the two militant factions battling each other in eastern Afghanistan. The fighting ended after the final attackers, holed up in the nearby residential complex, were killed, said Aman, the defense ministry’s spokesman. overthrew following the 2001 American-led invasion after the Sept. struck a peace deal with the Taliban in February. Khyogyani said about 1,000 prisoners who earlier escaped had been found by security forces across the city. PARWIZ / REUTERS

Even as Afghan troops retook the prison, ISIS militants continued to fire on Afghan security forces from a nearby neighborhood. Several hundred prisoners in Jalalabad are believed to be Islamic State members. The cease-fire expired at 12 a.m. First published on August 3, 2020 / 6:39 AM It wasn’t immediately clear if any prisoners were still at large.The attack came a day after authorities said Afghan special forces killed a senior Islamic State commander near Jalalabad. The attack highlighted the challenges ahead for Afghanistan, even as U.S. From behind windows with bars, several Taliban prisoners peeked out at reporters and media crews at the scene. The extremists also have battled the Taliban in the country, whom the U.S. 11 attacks.The Taliban’s political spokesman, Suhail Shaheen, told The Associated Press that his group was not involved in the Jalalabad attack. PARWIZ / REUTERS

The 29 dead included civilians, prisoners, guards and Afghan security forces, said Attaullah Khogyani, the provincial governor’s spokesman.After the fighting was over, Afghan forces held up a black ISIS banner captured during the battle. The prison is believed to hold hundreds of ISIS members. The fighting had also left at least 50 wounded, he said. Monday, though it wasn’t immediately clear if it would be extended as the U.S. pushes for an early start to intra-Afghan negotiations that have repeatedly been delayed since Washington signed the peace deal with the Taliban.”We have a cease-fire and are not involved in any of these attacks anywhere in the country,” Shaheen said.The Taliban also had denied being involved in a suicide bombing in eastern Logar province late Thursday that killed at least nine people and wounded 40.Afghanistan has seen a recent spike in violence, with most attacks claimed by the local ISIS affiliate.