Pentagon drawing down troops in Afghanistan

The chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff through the rest of the chain of command had agreed this should be the case. general casts doubt on Trump’s Afghan withdrawal timeline

More

Neither condition has been met.Although this was not a new stance, Esper committed it to writing after Mr. Kathryn Watson contributed to this report. troop levels would drop to 2,500 by January. O’Brien read reporters a statement Tuesday saying that the remaining troops would defend American allies, and it’s Mr. Trump had tweeted that “all of the troops” would be home by Christmas, and national security adviser Robert O’Brien said last month that U.S. Those conditions were that the Taliban had to reduce the level of violence and also break with al Qaeda. 

Afghanistan: The Way Forward

Australian special forces “unlawfully killed” 39 Afghan civilians

Pentagon drawing down troops in Afghanistan

At least 19 killed in latest attack on an Afghan university

U.S. Trump has long expressed his displeasure with the number of troops in the Middle East. The move comes days after President Trump fired former Defense Secretary Mark Esper over Twitter and replaced him with Christopher Miller in an acting capacity. 

Mr. First published on November 17, 2020 / 4:04 PM and Taliban to “re-set” as carnage escalates in Afghanistan

Top U.S. troops from Afghanistan that stated that any withdrawal below 4,500 should be “conditions-based,” according to defense officials. 01:14

The Pentagon is reducing the number of troops in Afghanistan and Iraq to 2,500 in each, top defense officials said on Tuesday, a drawdown of about 2,000 in Afghanistan and 500 in Iraq. Pentagon to reduce troops in Afghanistan and Iraq to 2,500

By David Martin

Updated on: November 17, 2020 / 7:35 PM
/ CBS News

Pentagon to reduce troops in Afghanistan and Iraq

Pentagon to reduce troops in Afghanistan and … Before his firing, Esper wrote a memo, first reported by the Washington Post and confirmed by CBS News, about withdrawing U.S. The effective date for the troop reduction, January 15, comes just five days before President-elect Joe Biden will be sworn into office. A senior military officer said the decision is “based on commander’s intent,” that is, President Trump’s, and military advisers indicated to him that “if you’re going to draw down, we recommend you go to 2,500.”

Get Breaking News Delivered to Your Inbox

Another officer referred to the decision as a “political decision made by the politically appointed civilian leaders of the Pentagon.”In a message to Defense Department employees over the weekend, Miller said he wanted to “bring the current war to an end in a responsible manner.” Mr. Trump’s hope that by May “they will all come safely home and in their entirety.””I want to reiterate that this policy is not new, this has been the president’s policy since he took office and it’s a policy that I talked about specifically with these numbers at the University of Las Vegas — the University of Nevada in Las Vegas in October,” O’Brien told reporters. Trump’s firing of Esper created an upheaval in Pentagon leadership during the critical transition period.